Beam Suntory Inc. and its subsidiaries, parent and affiliated companies ("Beam Suntory"; "we"; "us"; "our") respect your privacy and are always committed to protecting your personal information and privacy in everything we do.
This Privacy Notice sets out how we use your information while operating our business and sets out your legal rights in relation to the information we hold about you. We may use personal data provided to us either by you or third parties for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or as otherwise stated at the point of collection. Please read this Privacy Notice, together with any other privacy notice that we may provide to you.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 03.10.2019 We may modify this Privacy Notice from time to time to ensure we remain compliant in line with current regulations and you should check for changes from time to time.
What do we mean by personal data?
Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. When “you” or “your” are used in this Privacy Notice, we are referring to the relevant individual who is the subject of the personal data.
The information we collect about you
We may collect, process, store and transfer a number of different categories of personal data about you:
In addition, other specific types of information may be collected in connection with contests, sweepstakes, promotional offers or other marketing efforts. This could include your dietary preferences.
- Identity Data including name, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data including billing address, delivery address, email address and phone numbers.
- Financial Data including bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data including details about payments to and from you and records of products and services you have purchased / ordered from us, such as distillery tours.
- Technical Data including cookie information, internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, mobile device IDs and MAID (Mobile Advertising IDs), operating system and platform and other technology used by the devices you use to access this website.
- Login Data including your user credentials and password for any consumer or support accounts.
- Usage Data including information about how you use our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data including your preferences in receiving marketing materials, promotions and/or newsletters from us and your communication preferences, feedback or complaints which you have communicated to us.
- Photographic and Video Data including CCTV footage from distillery tours, photos and video taken at our events, photos or videos you upload on our website or social media sites.
- User Generated Content including text, pictures, audios, videos, testimonials, tweets, blog posts and reviews posted by you on online platforms such as social media and e-commerce sites.
In addition, other specific types of information may be collected in connection with contests, sweepstakes, promotional offers or other marketing efforts. This could include your dietary preferences.
When do we collect your personal data?
We will mainly collect personal data about you through interactions with you and your use of our website and digital platforms, including any information you may provide when you purchase any product or service from us (e.g. distillery tours, merchandise), sign up to our newsletters or take part in any event, competition or promotion organized by us. In addition, this Privacy Notice applies to our use of any information about you which we may collect from you via face-to-face communication, post, phone, email, social media or any other means of communication (including any form of electronic communication). We could also collect your data in person at public surveys, events organized by us and distillery tours. In most cases, you are not under a statutory or contractual obligation to provide the personal data.
We also collect technical data derived from your browsing which includes IP address, login data, browsers and other technology on the devices used to access this website. If you want more information about this please check our Cookies Policy.
We may also collect information about you from other entities in our corporate group, our business partners and various other third-party service providers, including but not limited to professional advisers, analytics providers, advertising networks, search information providers, fraud prevention and credit reference agencies and providers of technical, payment and delivery services.
How do we use your personal data?
Your personal data may be used for the following purposes:
To provide you with products and services
- Registering you as a new customer on our website and platforms
- Processing and fulfilling orders for products, merchandise or services (e.g. distillery tours) in which you have ordered/purchased from us.
- Managing and processing all payments, fees and/or charges and collecting and recovering any sums owed to us.
Our legal grounds for processing your data for these purposes is that this is necessary for the performance of a contract as we need to fulfill our contractual obligations or service level in a manner reasonably expected by you to deliver our products and services when requested by you.
To market and promote our products and services
We may send you direct marketing materials, newsletters, promotions, surveys, invitations to competitions, and provide you with suggestions about products and services that may be of interest to you. You will receive marketing materials from us if you have requested this (e.g. signing up for newsletter); previously purchased products or services from us; or if you have opted to receive marketing materials when registering for a competition, promotion, event or account.
You may choose to take part in competitions or promotions run by us, where your data will be used according to the conditions of the competition or promotion. We could capture photos and videos at events organized by us, and use them to promote our events and products in relation to said event.
You may choose to post user generated content on social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) in relation to our promotions, competitions or products. We may seek your permission for us to share or repost it on our social media accounts for the purpose of promoting our products and services. We will seek to confirm you are over the legal drinking age and have given us your consent to ensure we have the appropriate usage rights and to comply with data privacy principles.
Our legal grounds for processing your data for these purposes are based on our legitimate interest to promote our business, products and services and, in certain cases, your consent to our processing (e.g. for direct marketing activities). You have the right to object to or withdraw your consent at any time to the use of your personal information for marketing purposes by (i) following the opt-out links in any marketing communication, email or newsletter we send you; or (ii) by contacting us by email at email@example.com.
To deliver interest-based online advertising
Interest-based advertising or “online behavioral advertising” includes ads served to you after you leave our website, which are relevant based on your shopping habits or online activities. Using cookies and technical data, our third party partners and us may display relevant website content and ads to you across multiple websites, devices or other platforms. We may measure and understand their effectiveness using data analytics.
To decide what is relevant to you, we use information you make available to us when you interact with us, our affiliates, and other third parties. We gather this information using the tracking tools described below in Website Tracking Technologies.
To improve and develop our business and products
We may aggregate data to conduct benchmarking and data analysis including, for example, measuring the usage of our websites and effectiveness of marketing campaigns. We will analyze non-personally identifiable data to understand how people use the features and functions of our websites to improve the user experience, products and services, and customer relationships.
Our legal grounds for processing your data for these purposes is based on our legitimate interest to manage and develop our business and services.
In response to your requests, we will collect data relating to any question, complaints, feedback or other communication submitted by you.
Our legal grounds for processing your data for these purposes is based on our legitimate interest to provide you with the customer service you would expect and to resolve any issues that may be raised. We are also under legal obligation to respond to any complaints or data privacy requests for consumers located in relevant countries under local regulations.
To administer and manage our website, including to confirm and authenticate your identity and prevent unauthorized access to restricted areas of the site, and for troubleshooting and technical support. To ensure that content from our website, social media and other digital channels are presented in the most effective manner for you and your device.
Our legal grounds for processing your data for these purposes is to ensure we can successfully and securely fulfill our contractual obligation with you. It is also in our legitimate interest to ensure our websites operate smoothly and securely.
To comply with law or regulation
In addition, we may need to use certain information with law enforcement agency (e.g. for fraud investigation), or to keep a transaction record for financial reporting requirements to meet legal obligations.
Website Tracking Technologies
We collect personal information about users over time and across different websites and devices when you use our website, app or service. We also have third parties that collect personal information this way on our behalf. For example, when you visit a website that uses advertising services such as AdSense, or analytics tools such as Google Analytics, or embeds video content from YouTube, your web browser automatically sends certain information to Google. This includes the URL of the page that you’re visiting and your IP address. To do this, we use several common tracking tools which may include browser cookies, web beacons and similar technologies. We may share information, where necessary, with providers such as:
Although to ensure the proper functioning of our business we are not able to provide you with a list of all our services providers, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will promptly provide you with the requested information.
Google Marketing Platform
We may use Google Marketing Platform suite of tools including Analytics 360, Display & Video 360, Campaign Manager 360, Tag Manager 360 for ad serving, targeting, verification, and reporting. We may utilize Google Marketing Platform to better understand how users engage with our website and services by collecting information such as how often users visit the sites, what pages they visit and what other sites they viewed prior to visiting. We will not and will not assist or permit any third party to, pass information to Google that Google could use or recognize as personally identifiable information. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on their servers.
We use Google Analytics Advertising Features including:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
- Integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data for advertising purposes, including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers
We will adhere to the Google Analytics Advertising Features policy and you can find out more about how Google uses data on our websites here.
The Facebook pixel is a code that is placed on some of our websites. It collects data that helps us track conversions from Facebook ads, optimize ads, build targeted audiences for future ads, and remarket to consumers who have performed certain activities on our website, such as visiting a web page or buying a product. It works by placing and triggering cookies to track users as they interact with our website and our Facebook ads.
Identity resolution service & data onboarding
We work with third party data onboarding partners who hold anonymous profiles of consumers that is gathered across devices (including browsers, mobile device, email subscriptions, and offline purchases) into one pool. All of the personal identifying information such as a name, email address, phone number, or street address have been anonymized. We hold data gathered by us or third party from varies sources (e.g. past orders, distillery tour visit, competitions or events) in our consumer database. We may create anonymized or pseudonymized identifiers such as hashed email address, hashed phone number, hashed username, device ID to our data onboarding partners who use identity resolution technology to connect different anonymous identifiers from multiple platforms and devices to deliver advertisements on our behalf and allow us to serve ads that are personalized to users’ interests and to understand how users respond to our ads.
Information collected from third parties
Using the unique IDs provided to them, the third parties would also be able to add any cookies they hold and collected into our database. We can build a target consumer group profile using the additional information such as gender, age, location (country, city, neighborhood), language, things that person likes to read about online, interests, purchasing preferences, cookie IDs, device identifiers and IP addresses etc. We may use the consumer group profile to deliver interest-based online advertising and tailor our marketing campaigns.
Your right to opt-out of online behavioral advertising
Here are some of the ways you can control the information that is shared by your device when you visit or interact with our sites:
- Many of our websites use Google Analytics to understand how visitors engage with our sites. If you don’t want Analytics to be used in your browser, you can install the Google Analytics browser add-on. Learn more about Google Analytics and privacy.
- Incognito or private browsing mode allows you to browse the web without recording web pages and files in your browser. Cookies are deleted after you have closed all of your incognito or private windows and tabs.
- Many browsers allow you to block third-party cookies. You can also clear any existing cookies from within your browser.
- The Digital Advertising Alliance offers a tool for opting out of the collection of cross-app data on a desktop or mobile device for interest-based advertising. To manage your choices for companies participating in this tool, access the tool via your browser or download the AppChoices app here. Choices you make are both browser and device-specific.
Social Media Plug-Ins
We place various social media buttons on our website in the form of a link. Following are some of the social media buttons used (but not limited to):
Please be aware that by visiting a website which integrates social media plugins, certain data (your current IP address, visited sites, the date and time the website etc.) is forwarded to these social media services even if you are not registered with these services.
If you are already logged into the social media service when you click on the social media button, the social media service may also use this data to identify your user name and possibly even your real name. We have no control over the extent, nature and purpose of such data processing by the social media service. Please note that the social media service is perfectly capable of using this data to create pseudonymized and even individualized user profiles.
You can find further information about data protection regarding Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
How long do we keep your data?
We retain the personal data processed by us for as long as is considered necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, including as required by applicable law or regulation and to satisfy any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. When the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, we securely delete it or, in some cases, anonymize it.
With whom do we share your data?
We may share your personal information with subsidiaries of Beam Suntory Inc. headquartered at 222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza, 16th Floor, Chicago, IL, 60654, USA and members of our corporate group whose parent company is Suntory Holdings Limited with its principal place of business at 2-1-40 Dojimahama, Kita-ku, Osaka, Japan where we have a legal basis for doing so. You can visit our corporate site to find out more.
We may need to share your information with selected third parties that provide services to us or act on our behalf in connection with the operation of our business. We require all third party service providers to respect the privacy and security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not permit our third party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In particular, your information may be disclosed to the following categories of recipients:
- Professional advisers (e.g. IT, legal and financial advisers) and auditors.
- IT and system providers; website development and data storage providers; web and data analytic companies.
- Ecommerce platform and service providers operating and managing our online store on our behalf; card and online payment processing service providers.
- Digital, mobile and social media marketing agencies; mail and email deployment agencies; tour booking agencies; customer fulfilment agencies; event and competition organizers and photographers.
- Non-personally identifiable data such as hashed email address, IP addresses, cookie IDs and device IDs may be shared with identity resolution service & data onboarding service providers; online and social media retargeting and remarketing advertisers.
- Logistics, distribution and delivery service providers; manufacturing plants for personalized products.
- Fraud prevention and credit reference agencies; litigation and recovery specialists to recover any non-payment or debt owed to us.
- Building reception and security for distillery tours.
- Trade associates, business partners and third parties with whom we may enter into negotiations with in respect of a commercial agreement, e.g. joint business venture.
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets.
- Law enforcement agencies; financial regulators and other relevant regulatory authorities; government bodies; tax authorities; courts tribunals and complaints/dispute resolution bodies in circumstances where we are required to disclose personal information by law.
Although we are not able to provide you with a list of all our services providers in this Privacy Notice, if you would like further information, you may contact us at email@example.com
Which countries will your personal data be sent to?
As Beam Suntory is an international enterprise, there may be instances where it may be necessary for us to transfer your information outside the European Economic Area, e.g. to our headquarters and various subsidiaries, or if we use third party service providers from another country. In these circumstances, we will put in place suitable safeguards, for example an intra-group data transfer agreement or standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission, to ensure that your information is processed securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable regulations. If you require further information about the safeguards we put in place, you can request such information by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What rights do you have and how can you exercise them?
Pursuant to the General Data Protection Regulation or equivalent local legislation, you may have the following rights:
- Subject access right – You can ask us to provide you with a copy of the personal data that we hold about you and a description of how we use your information.
- Right to rectification – If you believe any information we hold about you may be inaccurate or incomplete, you can ask us to rectify these inaccuracies.
- Right to erasure / right to be forgotten – You can ask us to erase your information in certain circumstances:
- the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected and processed;
- our legal grounds for processing is consent, you withdraw consent and we have no other lawful basis for the processing;
- our legal grounds for processing is that the processing is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by us or a third party, you object to our processing and we do not have overriding legitimate grounds;
- you object to our processing for direct marketing purposes;
- your personal data has been unlawfully processed; or
- your personal data must be erased to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
However, please note that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Right to data portability – Where we process your information using automated means of processing based on your consent or for the purposes of performing a contract with you, you can ask us to supply such information to another party in a machine-readable format.
- Right to restriction of processing – You can ask us to restrict or suspend our processing of your information in certain limited circumstances:
- for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of your personal data where you have contested the accuracy of the personal data;
- your personal data has been unlawfully processed and you request restriction of processing instead of deletion;
- your personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected and processed but the personal data is required by you to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- for a period enabling us to verify whether the legitimate grounds relied on by us override your interests where you have objected to processing based on it being necessary for the pursuit of a legitimate interest identified by us.
- Right to object to processing – Where we process your information on the lawful basis of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us processing your information in certain circumstances:
- our legal grounds for processing is that the processing is necessary for a legitimate interest pursued by us or a third party; or
- our processing is for direct marketing purposes. If you object, your personal data will subsequently no longer be used for direct advertising purposes (objection pursuant to Art. 21 (2) GDPR) but will be retained on a suppression list.
- Right to withdraw consent – If we process personal data based on your express consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. We do not generally process personal data based on express consent (as we can usually rely on another legal basis). However, please note that this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of your information carried out before you withdraw your consent. The consents obtained are independent from each other; therefore, you can often revoke one, without affecting the others. Revoking your consent may mean that we are no longer able to provide you with the same services.
Data subjects in the European Union may exercise any of these rights, free of charge, by writing to our DPO at email@example.com. We will aim to respond to you within a month but this may be extended if the request is complex or we have received a number of requests from the same individual. If we have doubts about the identity of requester, we may ask for more information to confirm your identity before responding to the request.
Data controller and contact information
Beam Suntory UK Ltd. is the data controller in respect of the personal data which we hold about you. As data controller, we are responsible for determining the purposes for which we use the information we hold about you.
How to contact us
Please get in touch if you have any questions about how we use your information, or you wish to contact us about your legal rights or if you have any complaints or feedback about our use of your information. Please contact us at any time by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The address of our Data Protection Officer is Calle Mahonia, 2, 28043, Madrid, Spain.
Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
If you wish to submit a complaint or express any concerns about our use of your information, please contact us in the first instance. We will do our best to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction. However, if you feel that we have not addressed your concerns, please note that you have the right to make a complaint at any time to your local supervisory authority for data protection issues.
Do Not Track disclosure
Legal drinking age and data of children
This website is not intended for individuals under the legal drinking age and we perform age checks upon visiting the website (without storing your date of birth). We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the legal drinking age. If we later learn that an individual under the legal drinking age has provided us with personal information, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. Please do not share or forward this website or its contents to anyone underage. If you believe that a child under the legal drinking age may have provided us personal information, please contact us at email@example.com
Links to other websites
This Privacy Notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.